Zucchini Bread Oatmeal
Do you want to know how to start off your morning off on the wrong foot? One way is to drop your (6 week old) new iPhone into a (clean) toilet first thing in the morning while you are still half asleep. Yeah...I did that this past Thursday morning. It was almost like it happened in slow motion. It slipped out of my hands and I couldn't do anything about it until it was too late. I cried a little when it happened, but now I can sort of laugh about it....sort of. My phone was in a zip-lock bag full of rice (my frantic google searches at 1am told me to do that) for about 12 hours until I took it to the Apple store to see what the damage was. Long story short - a couple hundred bucks later, I have a new phone.
At least the toilet was clean though, right? ;)
Do you want to know how to start your morning out on the RIGHT foot?
Zucchini Bread Oatmeal. This oatmeal is guaranteed to start your day in the right direction.
I love zucchini bread. I also love oatmeal. Why not combine the two?
Not only are you getting a wonderfully delicious bowl of warming oats, but you are also getting a vegetable serving first thing in the morning. That's a win in my book. Like I have mentioned before, I typically have a fruit and veggie packed smoothie to start my morning. Sometimes (aka when it's freaking freezing outside), you just need to take a break from cold smoothies and dive into a bowl of hot oats. This is a bowl of oats you want in your life. It's the kind of oatmeal that warms you up from the inside. It's almost like getting a big hug from your bowl of breakfast. AND you are getting a vegetable first thing in the morning. Is there even anything better?
This bowl of oats gives you the fiber, complex carbohydrate, and protein that your body craves first thing in the morning. It will get you through a long morning while keeping you full and happy. I have been enjoying this oatmeal the past few days while the weather has been winterishly (I know that's not a real word but I feel like it should be) cold.
And most importantly, when my day started out absolutely terrible on Thursday, this oatmeal made things a little better. At least until I had to get my wallet out to pay for a new phone ;)
Zucchini Bread Oatmeal
| Serves 1 |
A delicious balance of protein, carbohydrate, and fiber, this oatmeal is a perfect way to warm up on a chilly morning. Top with almond milk, walnuts, maple syrup, and earth balance for maximum deliciousness!
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- a pinch of nutmeg
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup finely grated zucchini
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp walnuts (or pecans) + 1 tsp for garnish
- 1 Tbsp raisins (optional)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup + more for garnish
- 1 tsp earth balance (optional)
- In a medium sized pot, bring together oats, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to a boil. Once boiling, simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Next, stir in the zucchini, chia seeds, nuts, raisins (if using), vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Cook over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes.
- Once the oats are cooked, pour into a bowl and top with remaining nuts, maple syrup, and earth balance. Also top with 1 tsp almond milk (optional but recommended).