Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies with Dark Chocolate Chips
Peanut butter + banana + chocolate = a match made in flavor heaven. Am I right?
I originally made these cookies a few months ago as a total experiment because I was ravenously hangry (hungry + angry) and wanted a sweet treat after a particularly long and stressful day at work. I went to my pantry to see what would suffice my craving, thinking I had nothing. I noticed I had a lot of bananas and a new jar of peanut butter (staples in our house). Before I knew it, I just started throwing things together in a bowl. My hangriness (that's a word now) had taken over. Oh, and I found chocolate chips in the pantry too - things were starting to look promising. After making the batter, I seriously contemplated just digging in with a spoon and calling it a night. I ended up deciding to make cookies and boy am I glad I did. Once these cookies were done, I was immediately sold. I could not. stop. eating. them.
These cookies have no flour, eggs, dairy, and very little sugar. They are made with mashed bananas, peanut butter, rolled oats, flaxseed, maple syrup, coconut oil, baking powder, cinnamon, a pinch of sea salt, and chocolate chips. They are completely vegan, as well as gluten and refined sugar free. Did I mention they are ridiculously delicious too? These cookies are tasty right out of the oven but become even more delicious as they cool...almost banana-bread like. They are perfect for on the go snacking and will fulfill your sweet tooth after dinner without busting your belt line. The wholesome ingredients make them great for kids too! Who knew being hangry could result in something so wonderful?!
Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies with Dark Chocolate Chips (V + GF)
|Makes 20-22 cookies|
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 Tbsp water)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (or regular chocolate chips)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F) .
- In a small bowl, combine flax and water and let sit for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas, then add peanut butter, coconut oil, vanilla extract, maple syrup, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add flax egg when ready and mix everything until combined.
- Add oats and mix well.
- Fold in chocolate chips and stir until well combined.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until cookies are set. Let cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cool completely.