Mondays come so darn quickly don't they? I feel like it was just Friday! The weekends have been flying by lately, mostly in part to the fact that we have had a lot going on. Between weddings, parties, dinners with friends, and trying to spend as much time outside as possible, our weekends seem to come and go in a flash. Sometimes I am more tired on Mondays than I am on Fridays. I've decided I need just one extra day off work to rest and get errands done after the weekend. I'm sure my boss will understand. Hey, a girl can dream ;)
On Sundays, Scott and I like to make a big breakfast and slowly enjoy the morning. This tends to happen more in the colder months while we spend more time hibernating and staying warm inside our cozy apartment. Since the weather has warmed up, our big Sunday breakfasts haven't been happening every week. Yesterday, the big breakfast re-surfaced....and in the most delicious way possible.
Waffles. Oh yes, waffles. Scott and I got up early yesterday morning to run in a charity 5k race. I took about 2 months off running after suffering a hip injury while training for a full marathon. I felt a little rusty during the race after taking so much time off, but man...it felt so good to get my legs moving and run at a quick pace again. OK, back to the waffles. After the race, Scott and I were both craving our "big Sunday breakfast". I immediately started thinking about waffles (normal). Once I started thinking about them, there was no turning back. Waffles it was!
Blueberries were on sale at the grocery last week and I happened to have some leftover lemons in my fruit basket. It seemed like a perfect pair. And it was! These waffles are light yet crispy with a soft lemon flavor, and each bite gives you a taste of warm blueberry. What a dream.
These waffles freeze and reheat beautifully making them great for busy mornings on the go. I made a double batch and put the leftovers in the freezer to use for this week. I can't wait to pop one the toaster and slather with a little almond butter and sliced banana. Waffles are kinda my favorite things ever.
The moral of the story and an important point to remember is that sometimes you just need to slow down, make good food with the people you love, and enjoy the present...especially when the days seem to be flying by. Also, waffles help you do that.
Blueberry Lemon Waffles (Vegan)
Simple vegan waffles bursting with blueberry and lemon flavor. Perfect for eating right away or saving for a healthy breakfast on the go!
|Makes 4-5 waffles|
- 1 cup almond milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil (melted), or butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat your waffle iron to desired level of heat (I prefer mine crispy).
- Combine almond milk and vinegar in a medium sized mixing bowl and let it sit for a few minutes to activate/curdle.
- Combine flaxseed and water in a small bowl and set aside to let thicken (this creates a "flax egg").
- Add dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder) in a large bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add remainder of wet ingredients (vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, maple syrup, coconut oil, and flax egg) to the mixing bowl with almond milk + vinegar. Whisk together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Fold in blueberries.
- Once the waffle iron is ready, coat with non-stick cooking spray or a bit of oil. Pour on about 1/3 cup of batter and cook according to the manufacturer instructions. Once done, remove waffle and place on a baking rack in a 200 degree (F) oven to keep warm.
*Do not stack waffles after they are done! Keeping them in a single layer keeps them nice and crispy.
*Leftovers can be stored in a freezer safe bag and reheated in a toaster for best results.
*Suggested toppings: blueberries, maple syrup, nut butter, sliced bananas, or sliced strawberries. OR all of the above ;)
What do YOU love eating on Sunday mornings?