I'm nuts...about pistachios! And lemons...and dates.
Pistachios are my favorite nut. That is saying a lot considering I have a legitimate obsession with all nuts and nut butters. I love pistachios because they contain tons of nutrients, vitamins, and fiber. As an added bonus, they are also referred to as the "skinny nut" - 30 pistachios are only 100 calories! Pistachios are an excellent source of copper and manganese, and a good source of thiamine and phosphorus. They are also an excellent source of vitamin B6, which helps our bodies metabolize protein, and helps our immune system function properly.
These healthy energy bites are made from 7 wholesome ingredients...perfect for snacking, breakfast, dessert, or pre or post workout fuel! There is no added sugar, and only fresh, raw ingredients. If you are looking for healthy snack ideas, this recipe is calling your name! Healthy snacking is so important for weight control and overall health. I don't know about you, but when I snack on low calorie "diet" foods like rice cakes or plain celery, I find myself wandering back to the refrigerator 15 minutes later looking for more food. That is not the case with these guys! They are an excellent source of protein, healthy fats, and carbohydrates - all of which are important components of a satisfying snack.
I love to make these bites for a mid afternoon snack at work, and also for when I am traveling. They are small, portable, and mess free. AND, they only take 10 minutes to make. The one and only problem with these...is that you won't want to stop eating them! ;)
Lemon Pistachio Date Bites
|Makes 12-14 bites|
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted and sliced
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice + zest of 1 lemon
- Pulse the pistachios, almonds, and pepitas in a food processor until they become small chunks (avoid completely ground).
- Add the shredded coconut and dates and pulse until everything runs smoothly in the processor.
- Add the coconut oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Pulse until well combined and evenly distributed. The mixture is done when it sticks together easily when pressed together. If the mixture is too crumbly, add ~1 tsp water until it reaches desired consistency.
- Roll the mixture into balls using your hands.
- Roll the balls into additional shredded coconut or ground pistachios if desired (optional).
- Eat right away or store in the fridge for 4-5 days (if they last that long!).
What are some of your favorite healthy snacks?