Fresh Berry & Mint Salad with Vanilla Coconut Whipped Cream
Happy July 3rd!
In honor of July 4th tomorrow, a red, white, and blue dessert needed to be made. And shared!
This dish is so simple and tasty. It is a beautiful combination of sweet fruit, mint, and creamy coconut whipped cream. Need I even say more?
Fresh fruit + (dairy free) whipped topping = a match made in heaven. This simple dessert is perfect for all the summer bbq's and cookouts you will be going to over the next few days. When you bring something this delicious to a party, it is 18,000% guaranteed that you will be invited back over.
The fruit salad with mint is delicious in itself, but OMG the coconut whipped cream is to die for. Try and resist the urge to face plant into the mixing bowl of fresh whipped topping...it's not easy. There may or may have not been many "tasting" spoonfuls when I was making this. I needed to make sure it was juuuuust right...and you will too ;)
Fresh Berry & Mint Salad with Vanilla Coconut Whipped Cream (Dairy Free)
A beautiful and healthy dessert that will leave your sweet tooth satisfied without busting your belt line. Perfect for summer holiday cookouts!
|Makes 3-4 cups|
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp maple syrup (or powdered sugar, or cane sugar)
For the Fresh Berry & Mint Salad
- 1 package fresh raspberries (6 oz)
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 1/2-1 Tbsp lime juice
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves
- Place the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. This is a crucial step. You need to chill the coconut cream until it is firm.
- Remove the chilled can from the fridge and FLIP it upside down. The liquid coconut milk (that doesn't harden) will now be at the top of the can. Pour the liquid coconut into a bowl (you won't be using this liquid for the whipped cream). *Save the coconut liquid to put in your morning smoothie!* After pouring out the liquid, you will be left with the hardened coconut cream.
- Put your mixing bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes prior to using. Scoop the coconut cream into the chilled mixing bowl.
- Whip the cream with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer until the cream is nice and fluffy!
- Add the sweetner (I used maple syrup) and vanilla and whip it again. Set in the fridge if not using right away.
- Once the whipped cream is made, combine all the berries together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the raw honey and lime juice and whisk until combined. Pour this mixture over the fruit and stir to combine. *Be sure to stir/toss very delicately as to not damage the berries.*
- Dish the fruit in small bowls and garnish with fresh mint leaves and a big dollop of vanilla coconut milk cream.
*Look for a can of coconut milk that does not have guar gum on the ingredient list. Guar gum causes the liquids to emulsify, which is NOT what we want for this recipe. I used the '365' brand from Whole Foods.
*Using 'light' coconut milk will NOT yield the same result. It must be full fat.
Happy 4th of July! #Merica