And we are back with another soup recipe! I can't stray from soups for too long.
As a dietitian, I talk to my clients a lot about choosing colorful foods. Colorful fruits and vegetables are high in nutrient density and rich in antioxidants. However, color is just one indicator of nutrient content. While it is easy to go for the bright, eye catching colors, choosing white produce can be just as beneficial. While white isn't exactly a color of the rainbow, white foods still contain important phytochemicals that help fight disease. In fact, some white vegetables contribute substantial quantities of nutrients that can be often missed like potassium, magnesium, and fiber. Foods like cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, garlic, and potatoes all contain essential nutrients and have been associated with a lower risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and a stronger immune system.
This recipe highlights two (actually three) nourishing white foods: cauliflower, garlic, and the white part of leeks. It's a simple soup that packs a lot of nutrition. It is creamy, comforting, and delicious. The cashews make it luxuriously creamy while providing some protein and healthy fat. It's a seemingly subtle soup, but the roasting process brings out some pretty big flavors. It's also easy peasy to make. The short version of this this recipe in 3 words would be: Chop. Roast. Blend.
I should also mention that this soup tastes fabulous the next day. I have been enjoying it for lunches this week and it seems to get better and better each day. It's like a gift that keeps on giving....in soup form.
Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Leek Soup (V+GF)
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 leeks, chopped (white and very light green parts)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- olive oil for drizzling
- 1/2 cups raw, unsalted, un-roasted cashews, soaked for at least 30 minutes
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (to blend into the soup)
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F). Spread cauliflower, leeks, and garlic on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a few pinches of salt & pepper.
- Roast for 25 minutes (or until veggies start to turn golden), stirring with a spatula halfway through.
- Add the roasted veggies, drained cashews, marjoram and thyme, lemon, and vegetable broth to a high speed blender. Blend until pureed.
- Once smooth, add the olive oil and paprika and blend again. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Reheat in a saucepan if needed and enjoy!