Hail to the no-bake energy bites!
It's hard to believe that just a few short years ago I had never even heard the term "energy bite". Now, they are part of my weekly routine. It's tough to estimate just how many of these little guys I have made in the past 2 years or so but it's safe to say that I have made A LOT. I think it's official...energy bites are here to stay.
A few weeks ago I got together with Scott from Hemp & Honey Plus and David to create a fun and healthy recipe using hemp seeds. If you are not familiar with Hemp & Honey Plus, you definitely need to check them out. HH+ is a brand of skincare products made from all natural ingredients including hemp seed oil and Manuka Honey. I wrote more about them here!
We decided to make a quick and easy but DELICIOUS snack using hemp seeds, honey, and other healthy ingredients. Trail mix energy bites seemed like a no-brainer! I mean...who doesn't love trail mix?!
Hemp seeds are a great addition to any diet because they are packed with easily digestible plant protein AND contain all 9 essential amino acids making them a complete protein. They are abundant in omega-3 fatty acids, high in fiber, and rich in minerals including magnesium, iron, zinc, and potassium.
Hemp seeds have a very mild, nutty flavor. As with other seeds (such as flax and chia), they are good in hot or cold cereal, smoothies, soups, or even sprinkled on salads, casseroles, or cooked grains. They are especially delicious in this recipe!
These energy bites are perfect to bring to work for a mid morning or afternoon snack or for a pre/post-workout snack. They are literally made in 10 minutes or less in a food processor and take about 10 seconds to eat....perfect for when you are on the go ;)
Trail Mix Energy Bites
|Makes about 20 bites|
- 10 dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted almonds
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a large food processor, combine dates, oats, almonds, and pistachios. Pulse until uniform sized pieces are created. Be careful not to over-process.
- Add peanut butter and honey to the mixture and and pulse until combined.
- Add hemp seeds and dried cranberries and pulse a few more times until well combined. The mixture should start to stick together and pull from the sides some.
- Form into desired sized bites (balls) and place on a large plate. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Roll in hemp seeds and/or shredded, unsweetened coconut (if desired).
Don't forget to check out Hemp & Honey Plus to learn more about them and their products!