I have a completely veggified recipe for you today...and it's good. Real good.
I have blogged about spiralized veggies before and I can't seem to stop making them. Zucchini and sweet potato are my current favorite veggie noodles. This recipe highlights them in the best way possible....smothered in Thai almond butter sauce. I make a similar sauce (see this recipe) often, but changed this one up slightly. To be honest, you can't go wrong with either.
On a side note, Scott and I have had a busy couple of weeks. On Friday, we signed the closing documents on our first home! I have been on this emotional roller coaster with everything. I am so incredibly excited about moving but have periodic thoughts of "oh snap, s*** just got real!". I guess we are real adults now with real responsibility. Eeek! Mostly, I am excited and happy and giddy and anxious (in a good way) about the whole thing. It's an old home in a cool area of town that has recently been renovated but needs a few cosmetic changes. My mind in whizzing with 19834738 decor ideas. Scott, on the other hand, does not think anything needs done. I want it to have a certain look. Happy wife, happy life, right? ;) Here is a little sneak peak of the our new place.
Anyway, our weekend was so consumed with a million and a half things that I didn't make it to the grocery store until yesterday. We seriously had no food in our house. I tried to scrap together a few things for lunches and dinners but they were majorly lacking in good veggies. When I finally made it to the store yesterday, I was itching for veggies. I grabbed every colorful piece of produce I could get my hands on. Veggie noodles seemed like a no brainer!
This dish is loaded with colorful veggies, amped up with quinoa (it's at the bottom of the bowl...I swear it's in there), and finished off with a creamy sauce packed with healthy fats.
Now that's my kind of bowl.
Zucchini & Sweet Potato Noodles with Thai Almond Sauce
| Serves 4 |
- 2 medium zucchinis, spiralized into medium noodles
- 1 small sweet potato, spiralized into thin noodles
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped raw almonds (optional)
For the sauce:
- 3 Tbsp Bragg's aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp natural almond butter
- 2 tsp garlic red Thai chili paste
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp almond milk (or water)
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy - or simply whisk ingredients together well. Taste and adjust if necessary.
- If desired, lightly saute the zucchini and sweet potato noodles, bell pepper, and carrot with 1 Tbsp olive oil until slightly soft.
- Place all veggies in a large bowl along with the cooked quinoa and green onion. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until thoroughly combined.
- Top with additional green onion and chopped almonds.