Peach Oatmeal Squares
We all need a little help getting through the middle of the week slump. I think this recipe will help :)
I was actually not planning on baking anything yesterday. It has been about 900 degrees outside this week so my goal was to avoid turning on the oven. I went a little crazy buying peaches at the farmer's market this weekend and ended up with 8 (btw, my husband doesn't really even like peaches). They looked so good, I just couldn't resist buying them! Needless to say, I have been eating peaches every day.
I thought about what I could make that would use up some of these peaches. I had a few things in mind, but ended up settling on an oatmeal bake. I haven't made an oatmeal bake in such a long time! Forget the hot weather and my original plan to not turn the oven on...I wanted an oatmeal bake.
It turned out delightful! I used ingredients I already had (and almost always have) on hand. The juicy burst of peach lightens up the bake and still makes it acceptable on hot summer days. I even had some left over Vanilla Coconut Milk Ice Cream from this weekend. Oatmeal bake a la mode! It would also be fabulous with a dollop of fresh Vanilla Coconut Whipped Cream. Mmm - I will definitely remember that for next time.
You can make this with any combination of nuts and fruit you like, the possibilities are endless! I love that this bake is sweetened with dates and peaches, and only a small amount of maple syrup. It's a bake that tastes like dessert but is healthy enough to have as a nourishing breakfast or snack.
Now you have something to look forward to making this week. See...I told you this recipe would help you get through the mid week slump ;)
Peach Oatmeal Squares
A nourishing morning meal, snack, or dessert that will satisfy your appetite and fuel your body. These oatmeal squares are made with real food ingredients and bursting with juicy fruit flavor!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 4 chopped dates (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 peaches, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F). Line an 8x8" or 9x9" pan with parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients (oats through cinnamon) in a large bowl. In a medium bowl combine the wet ingredients (maple syrup through vanilla extract).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan by lifting parchment paper. Cut into 9 squares and enjoy!
*If you don't prefer to use maple syrup or honey, use 1 tsp stevia.