Black Bean Loaded Veggie Burgers
Looking for a healthy and DELICIOUS veggie burger to throw on the grill this weekend?
I've got you covered.
You want to know my beef (pun intended) with some veggie burgers? Ever noticed that certain "veggie" burgers don't actually contain ANY veggies in them at all? I have. It bugs the crap out of me. Let's be real and call some veggie burgers "processed soy + 976 other ingredient, cardboard tasting" burgers.
These burgers are a far cry from those. They are made from all real food ingredients...and....gasp...real veggies! Three cheers for veggies! With this recipe I not only aimed to use real, simple ingredients, but also keep them flavorful with a sturdy texture. There is nothing worse than a mushy or "gummy" veggie burger, amirite? These burgers are slightly crisp on the outside and perfectly tender on the inside. Major score.
The flax eggs hold everything together beautifully which makes it perfect for throwing on the grill. Flax eggs are pretty much my favorite thing ever. I want to give a big huge hug to whoever invented flax eggs. You go Glen Coco.
We have a busy weekend of July 4th parties and you better believe I will be bringing these guys. Oh, and if you are looking for some desserts to make this weekend, check out these recipes: Fresh Berry & Mint Salad with Vanilla Coconut Whipped Cream and Summer Fruit Galette - YUM!
Have a wonderful holiday weekend!
Black Bean Loaded Veggie Burgers (V + GF)
| Makes 8 patties |
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and roughly mashed (I use a potato masher)
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 Tbsp water)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 (8 oz) package of white mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 large red pepper, diced
- 2 large carrots, finely grated
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 1/2 cup almond flour* + 2 Tbsp chopped almonds
- 1 Tbsp Bragg's aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- a pinch of salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F (if baking). Mix your flax egg (flaxseed + water) in a small bowl and set aside for at least 10 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large skillet, saute the onions, garlic, mushrooms, and red peppers in 1 Tbsp oil until veggies are soft.
- Place all ingredients (except spices) into a large mixing bowl and stir very well. Next, add seasonings and mix until spices are evenly combined.
- With slightly wet hands, shape the dough into patties. Be sure to pack the dough tightly as this will help it stick together.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes (12-15 minutes on each side) until golden and crisp. If you prefer to BBQ, pre-bake the burgers for about 15 minutes in the oven before placing on a pre-heated grill until golden and crisp on each side.
* To make the oat flour, blend 1 cup raw oats in a small blender for a few seconds. This is much cheaper than buying oat flour at the store.
*To make the almond flour, blend 1 cup raw almonds in a blender until a fine flour forms. Be careful to not over-blend. We want almond flour, not almond butter!