Simply Delicious Berry Crisp
Berry Crisp. Is there anything better?
Berry crisp has always been a favorite of mine. Growing up, I loved all things berry, but berry crisp was just the absolute best. Not much has changed :)
Over the weekend we had our neighbors over for dinner. I wanted to make a simple, summery meal to pay tribute to this sunshine season coming to an end. If you follow me on Snapchat (@wholelivinglaur) you already got a sneak peak of some of the food.
Here are the dishes I made:
Shredded Kale and Brussels Sprout Slaw with Pine Nut "Parm" (I used cashews instead of pine nuts)
Quinoa Broccoli Slaw with Honey Mustard Dressing (I subbed maple syrup for honey)
I also bought guacamole, fresh mango salsa, and some locally made corn tortilla chips from Whole Foods to snack on.
Not a bad lineup if I do say so myself! I wanted to make a dessert but to be honest, I kinda suck at dessert. It just isn't my forte. I also didn't have time to make a complicated dessert so I looked in my pantry and fridge to see what I could come up with. Chocolate avocado mousse? I only had one avocado....darn. Cookies? Meh. Summer berry galette? YUM! But I'm too lazy to make the crust. But I DO have lots of frozen berries (I can thank my smoothie obsession for that!) and I DO have granola.
BERRY CRISP. BINGO.
Berry crisp to the rescue! This dessert turned out perfect. It was super simple and absolutely hit the spot. This will forever be my go-to when I need to throw together a quick dessert. It was the perfect homage to summer but also made me super excited for fall. Fall in Ohio is the best. I'm ready for chilly mornings, jeans, and cute sweaters. When winter rolls around I'll be wishing it was summer again. Can it just stay summer and fall forever?!
I also need to tell you about my new favorite dairy-free ice cream! So Delicious "Very Vanilla" Cashew Milk Ice Cream. YOU GUYS, it's such a dream! Don't even THINK about skipping the ice cream on your berry crisp. And, no, So Delicious is not paying me to say this. It's just so good that I need you to know about it. And buy it.
You can thank me later.
Simply Delicious Berry Crisp
| Serves 6 |
- 6 cups frozen berries (I used blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp melted Earth Balance (or butter of choice)
- 2 cups granola
- Non-dairy ice cream of choice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (F).
- In a large bowl, mix together the frozen berries, coconut sugar, and flour. Pour mixture into an ungreased 8-inch baking dish.
- Combine melted butter and granola in a small bowl. Scatter the granola mixture over the berry mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the berries and their juices are bubbly..
- Spoon into dishes and serve with a scoop of your favorite non-dairy ice cream on top.